Thursday, October 30, 2008

Those were the days, my friend!


Makes me sound really old (like my mum when she says the words)....but then those were the days.....school days. With the reunion around, and all the "Reunion Committee" meetings (where we discuss more about how much fun we had in school than actual get some planning done), I must admit I remember those days even more than before.

And guess what??? I have an opportunity (albeit after 5 years) to meet those people who in some way or the other have made a memory of mine, special. So Anup, however modest you'd like to show you are, you are worthy of the appreciation we show.

Remember the time .....

when despite trying our level best our white shoes never remained white till the P.T. class? And how we'd make a mad rush for the duster and the chalk?

or when we'd pass chits to each other in class and then during that mad criss-cross of paper routes, we'd get the chit that was meant for someone else?(I got to know many a secret that way)

or when lunch break always seemed too short and History/Geography/Hindi class seemed too long (esp after the lunch break)?

or when we'd make "arrangements" for a particular Physics assignment with other benchmates?

or when we just couldn't stop giggling the moment someone mispronounced "orgasm" instead of "organism"? (Some of us still do it.....now c'mon you know it's true)

or the favourite excuse for bunking a class during Tarang/Festoons was "Ma'am I have to go for the play/dance practice "?

Just the thought of those times brings a warm smile on my face.

Of course, we had our share of sad times too. We lost one of our friends, Mridhula, quite suddenly. An unexpected departure of a soft and kind soul. But the good memories of the times when we sang together at school events, walked together from school back home and shared notes when we were absent, I still hold on to and take along with me.

5 years out of school and it feels like eternity. Damn...I do feel old now. But even today when I pass by Indiranagar 13th 'A' Main, I look out at the beige building....for whom/what I still dont know. Maybe another throwball match, or a group of students waiting for their van or just the sight of the plain old grey-brown skirt and striped white shirt(which I hated in the beginning, but began to take pride in later)

I don't know about everyone, but "school" brings a flood of memories, both good and bad, and I'm thankful for both kinds. We, the naive beings that we were, may have hurt many and have been hurt by many, but all was forgotten with a single "sorry da". How I wish those times would come back.

Though those days won't be back, we have an opportunity to fondly remember the old memories and create new ones with those who were an integral part of 15 years (+/-) of our childhood.
Hope to see you all at the reunion!!


Risha


11 comments:

Bisi said...

Sigh !! Nostalgia overload ..Good ol' days

Anup said...

That was really power packed nostalgia Risha! Straight from the heart and I could really picture all those poignant moments you've put down so well taking shape one after another just like shaking a mental kaleidoscope waiting for a new patten appears. Aarz hai

So now, instead of PT classes, of why
‘Conjumer Protection forum’ works, space and sky,
of kinship ties, lunch under that shadowing tree
propped up by telephone poles, we talk only
of us, and how time's rolled on.
Curious, I suppose, to note how our rich strong
Companionship has thinned to this lament.
Analysis is free when the rest is spent.

Unknown said...

why why why .. puna .. your poetry should conjume you so we don't have to conjume your poetry .. anyway aee guch .. naeishe

Unknown said...

put up a time for your next meet at barista

.:.

Bisi said...

@Archi - Sunday 2nd Nov, 3 PM ..Venue : BRIO (above crossword on 12th Main)

arghya nath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nightridder said...

Is there any way we can tag ppl in the photograph?

Anup said...

Nope not here. Who are you nightridder ?

Kartik said...

Hi there. I think it's great that we are having this reunion. Thanks for the invite! Unfortunately, I cannot attend. But, it feels good that some of you still remember me.

Anup said...

Hi Karthik! How can we forget a star batsman who scored an unbeaten 50 in his last innings and retired from the hallowed 'Shit Valley Grounds' in style ?

Su said...

it was nice to read a passage in simple English, at the end of what was a page of literary brilliance by puna :) thanks for bringing the nostalgic memories back